Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions that should help you prepare for your experience in the residence halls.

Q: How are Roommates assigned?

A: After the Residence Life Office has received your completed Campus Housing Agreement, you will also need to complete two other forms; the "Roommate Matching Form" and the "Themed Housing Form". These forms have questions about your specific living preferences (music preferences, interests and hobbies, sleeping and study habits, hobbies, etc.) After your complete these forms, the Area Coordinator for Residence Life will be in contact with you to set up a "Roommate Interview". The interview will be about 20 minutes where you will be asked some questions, get to know you more in detail and also discuss the themes that you chose. The interviews will be conducted either over FaceTime, Skype or a phone call. After everything is completed, roommates are created based on those responses.

Incoming students may request specific roommates, however all "housing / residential placements" are determined on a date priority / first come, first serve basis. If you are wanting to request someone, you both need to mutually request each other on your individual forms. To give you better chances on being placed together, you also need to discuss the themes that you are both interested in and put those same themes down on your individual "Themed Housing Form". Please notes that all roommate requests are not guaranteed.

Q: When will I find out my housing assignment?

A: Once we have received your completed Campus Housing Agreement, Roommate Matching Form, Theme Housing Form (Theme Housing for 1st Year Students only), we will match you with a roommate. Room assignments can be found through the Residence Life page on MyMU under the Student Life tab.

Q: What happens if I do not get along with my roommate(s)?

A: Living with someone is challenging and takes hard work and can require a lot of adjustment. Resident Assistants (RAs) are trained to help you with any problems which may arise. Part of our educational process is to have roommates, who are experiencing problems, go through our formal mediation process. During this process, you will be taught essential communication and compromising skills that will help you to effectively resolve your situation.

There is a formal room change process once each year that occurs toward the end of the first semester.

Q: Can I change the meal plan that I selected at the beginning of the academic year?

A: YES. Meal plans may be changed during the first week of each semester.

Q: Are there single rooms available?

A: There are no single room accommodations for first year students.

Q: What size beds are in the residence halls?

A: The beds are 36" by 80"

Q: Can I bring a refrigerator, microwave, or other appliances with me?

A: The only appliances / items that are permitted in student rooms are: clocks, fans, hair dryers, curling irons, hot pots (must have closed heating elements), popcorn poppers, radios, shavers, stereo equipment, televisions, gaming systems, DVD players, computers, and printers. Halogen and Medusa lamps are strictly prohibited.

The university provides microfridge units (mini-fridge,freezer, microwave units) in Alumnae, Gildea, McGowan and McHale Halls.

MacDowell Hall has a refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher in the kitchens.

The Townhouse Complex has refrigerators in the kitchens and the Lake St Houses have refrigerators and microwaves in their kitchens.

If you wish to bring an additional minifridge for your room, you need permission from the Director of Residence Life and it may not exceed 4.6 cu. ft.

Students are not permitted to bring their own microwaves unless they live in the Townhouse Complex and those microwaves must not exceed .9 cu. ft.

Q: Can first year students have a car?

A: First year resident students are not permitted to register or park a vehicle on campus. Individual exceptions may be granted on a need basis through the Vice President of Student Life Office.

Q: Is there a laundry or linen service?

A: Each facility has washers and dryers, which are free of charge. Residents are responsible for their laundry needs. Laundry machines are link to the Maytag 360 system which allows you to see what machines are available, how much time is left on each machine and notify you through email or text message when your laundry is complete.

Q: Can a resident paint his / her room?

A: NO. Residents are not permitted to paint any part of their bedroom and / or living space.

Q: Can residents remain in their room during vacations / breaks?

A: NO. Opening and Closing dates and times for room occupancy are specified on special postings / targeted announcements for each academic semester and must be observed. Residential facilities are closed during vacations and NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.

Q: Are there any storage facilities?

A: There are no storage facilities on campus for personal belongings. Students are asked to only bring essential items.

Q: Is alcohol permitted on campus?

A: Misericordia University adheres to the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and does not permit students under the age of 21 to possess, consume, or be in the presence of alcoholic beverages on campus. Therefore, the University does not permit students under 21 to posses or display empty alcoholic beverage containers in their rooms.

Misericordia recognizes the right of individuals 21 years or older to possess and consume moderate amounts of alcoholic beverages; however all University policies must be strictly followed.

powered by finalsite