Course Reserves Policy
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS MAY BE PLACED ON COURSE RESERVES:
- Books, DVDs, and other materials from the library's circulating collection may be placed on course reserves.
- Personal copy books may be placed for one semester, after which placement will be reviewed for copyright compliance in regard to “Fair Use.”
- Photocopies may be placed for one semester, after which copyright permission must be obtained.
- One chapter from a book may be placed.
- Class notes, syllabi, homework solutions, and sample exams may be placed without restriction.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS MAY NOT BE PLACED ON COURSE RESERVES:
- Copies of whole works, or of the majority of a work
- Course Packets
- Materials from other libraries
- Personally reproduced items such as home-made CDs will be considered individually with regard to copyright compliance
Submission of Materials
Request submissions are processed in the order in which they are received. Please submit requests at least two weeks before the start of the semester. It should take approximately three days to process materials; items requiring copyright permission may take longer.
Library staff can assist faculty in obtaining copyright permission if necessary. The department will be notified if there is a charge for permission, and once we receive an e-mail message from the department to indicate approval of the fee, we will proceed to finalize the permission process.
Submissions for which copyright permission has already been obtained must be accompanied by a copy of the permission form.
Every reprint submitted must include complete bibliographic documentation, which for a journal shall include: title of the periodical from the title page, complete title of the article, author, publication date, volume, issue, page numbers, publisher and place of publication.
Complete bibliographic citation from a book shall include: title from the title page, author, publication date, page numbers, publisher and place of publication.
A copyright notice must be included on the first page of photocopied material. The notice will contain:
Copyright ©year, name of copyright owner
Example: Copyright ©1996, Henry Phillips
Items may be removed from reserve during the semester at the instructor's request. At the end of the semester, all materials will be removed from reserve.
Please complete the Reserve Request Form for Books (PDF) or the Reserve Request Form for Articles (PDF). Bring the form along with the materials to the Circulation Desk for processing. Forms are also available at the Circulation Desk.